Thursday, May 14, 2009

Beginning Week 3

Daniel began his 3rd week at the Sao Paulo CTM this week.  We were expecting to hear from him on Wednesday, same as last week.  But in pops an email on Tuesday!  

His first concern was to make sure people have his address and email address.  The mailing address at the CTM is posted here on the blogsite, so that's easy.  His "official" email address is EDanielJP10@myldsmail.net.  Last week, we asked if there were any restrictions on who could send him emails to that address.  He answered all our other questions, but not that one....  So, I thought I'd just release it to everyone and see what happens.  The only "downside" with that address is he only gets to check it each p-day whereas he can receive letters any day.  Another option that Daniel has recommended is the use of a service called Mission Ties (www.missionties.com).  We are experimenting with that to see how well it works.

The theory behind Mission Ties is that the missionary can write as many people, as often as he has time, using the service.  He sends his letter via local mail to an address in Sao Paulo.  The Mission Ties people scan the letter and then send it email to the person he is writing to back home.  On the flip side, we can write him an email (with an attachment if desired).  We send the email to the Mission Ties site.  The email is received in Sao Paulo by someone who will print it out, put it in an envelope, and mail it by local mail to Daniel.  The advantages of this is avoiding some of the cost of international mailing while typically getting the letter there in a day or so.    Apparently, they also have an online store so you can order and send packages to missionaries.  This means the product you want to send must be available in Sao Paulo though.  That may not always work.  In any case, we'll let you know how this works out.   Take a look at their website if you want to know more.

Then, Daniel's next question -- no, not how is everyone doing or anything like that.  He asked for info on the NBA playoffs and on his Mariners.  He tells us other missionaries are receiving updates on their favorite teams, so he's sure it's alright if we send him info.  He was also interested in how his car is doing -- and would like a picture of it.

But, his heart is in the right place.  Here is an excerpt from this week's email:

"I believe this is the right place.  The language is not coming as easily as I had hoped.  I guess it will come in the Lord's own due time.  I've got to try to be patient which has not always been easy for me.

My companion and I are like best friends now.  One of my teachers, Irmão (brother) Soares is way sweet.  He's moving to Utah in 3 months or so, and he wants me to look him up when I return from my mission.  The best thing is when I get back, I'll be able to talk to him in Portuguese instead of English.

I love being here in Brazil and the time is flying by fast.  I love this gospel!  I know that our Father in Heaven called me to do a work here.  I know that God loves me and that he knows me personally.  I know that Deus e Jesus Cristo revealed themselves to Joseph Smith.  Eu Sei que o Livro de Mormon é verdadero. Eu sei que está igreja é verdadera."
Finally, he closed by asking us not to forget him out there in the mission field.  He would love to have letters from everyone about what is going on [sports updates optional].  

Thanks to everyone who has talked to me about this blogsite.  It seems like a hit, so I'll keep it going.  Even Daniel was able to view it!  We'll update again as soon as we have something.  


1 comment:

  1. He was allowed to view this blog?? That's very fun. Things have sure changed since Jason served. Email, what's that? Sounds like he's doing great. I'm proud of him.

    ReplyDelete