Tuesday, July 21, 2009

English versus Portuguese

I would like to start off by saying thank you so much for the support. You have really helped me a ton to calm down a little bit with all the letters. I still have a long way to go, and I get frustrated every now and again because of language etc. But I will get over it I guess. The lessons are going great and getting better, but sometimes I go totally blank because my English fights with my Portuguese which is never a good thing. We normally teach like 26 lessons a week still. That is always a good thing. The investigators are great! They are really starting to love the lessons. One has totally stopped everything almost and is almost ready for baptism. She did a ton of things – crack, smoked tons. She loves to read the Book of Mormon and reads it every day.

We have so many great investigators right now. I am so happy and cannot wait till the next baptism. We had one this past week, and the little girl chose me to get in the water and baptize her. She is ten years old and reminds me a lot of Melissa. I love that little girl, and she is very intelligent for her age. Another good thing is that her brother is the one that told us about her. Her mom and dad are not baptized but they are next. That feeling of baptizing her and then confirming her was so great. It didn’t hit me till a little bit after the baptism how great it was. She gave me a short little note on Sunday. I will put it in Portuguese and then translate. Elder Daniel Parkinson: Eu agradeço por você e o Elder Machado ter me ensinado muita coisas legal e boa, e eu Niyara Jade faço está cartinha para você em nome de Jesus Cristo amém. Sua grande amiga Niyara Jade Longo Rebeiro. English now. Elder Daniel Parkinson: I am grateful for you and Elder Machado to have taught me many things cool and good. And I, Niyara Jade, make this small letter for you in the name of Jesus Christ amen. Your Great Friend Niyara Jade Longo Rebeiro.

The food here is really good. We have good meals every day. I miss having a good dinner and breakfast but that is ok. I have yogurt and fruit every morning and sometimes a sandwich at night. The lunches are amazing. Also tomatoes are starting to grow on me. They always have them in the salad, and I felt bad always taking them out so I starting to eat them. At first I didn’t like them one bit but now I can handle them. Another great thing! My first companion is in my district which is great! Every week we see each other and get to talk English. The language is going alright. I get really frustrated sometimes when I can’t say what I want. I feel like an idiot. But I hope they understand through the spirit. I really love this gospel so much, and I really just want to be able to talk to them. I sometimes break down and cry in our house about the language or thinking about family. When I can’t talk, I think a ton about back home. family, friends etc., but I guess I will make it through. I can almost understand all things now!

Dogs are always in the street barking. If I was not a missionary I would probably be dead right now. I miss the family a ton so keep praying for me to have the courage and the strength to push forward. I want you to know that I am fine, the Lord has really taken care of me, and every time I feel bad and then pray, He comforts me. I know this is the true gospel with all my heart. He answers prayers. I love the book of Mormon so much -- I love reading it every morning and feeling the power that comes from it. Well, I got to go. May God always be with you. Try your hardest to be worthy to have it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment